The immune system is a network that requires whole body balance. Your first line of defence is to choose a healthy lifestyle, focusing on your food and your daily activities. Here are a few things to focus on this week to maximise supporting your immune:
- Regular physical activity that promotes cardiovascular health. (exercise)
- Where you can, walk in the sunshine for at least 10 minutes to give you natures best source of Vitamin D. Your skin, when exposed to the sun, makes Vitamin D. This is important to allow your body to absorb calcium and promote bone growth and increases susceptibility to infection.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Reduce stress by being aware of stressful activities and be mindful of breathing in deeply.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and herbal tea.
- Ensure you get adequate sleep and always listen to your body.
- Optimise your natural detox processes – hydrate, dry brush to stimulate lymphatic system, soak in a magnesium salt bath and ensure your bowels move regularly.
- Consume foods with zinc including oysters, red meat and legumes. This helps heal wounds while keeping the immune strong.
- Consume foods with vitamin C abundantly found in fresh fruit and vegetables. Be mindful that vitamin C is water soluble, and does not store in your body. Be actively mindful of consuming food with Vitamin C throughout the day.
- Consume foods that are high in beta carotene such as carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato. Our bodies convert beta carotene to vitamin A which is needed for healthy skin and to support the immune system.
- Consume probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir and coconut cider vinegar. Probiotic bacteria found in your gut influences and helps to regulate inflammation, cell to cell signalling and barrier function. The variety and population of beneficial bacteria found in your gut will help reduce harmful pathogens to thrive.
- Cut out the sugar – sugar is off the table. Sugar has the ability to reduce the white blood cells. Macrophages that eat bacteria and viruses reduce its ability after consuming sugary foods and beverages for up to 5 hours.
- Drink liquorice root tea.
Disclaimer* this article does not intend to cure